Adding Dam and Sire Information
Option 1: How to add Parents when using the New Litter form
If you are just getting started with SoftMouse and want to track parental information in the Dam and Sire columns, instead of inputting all of your current mice using the Create New Mouse form, the best thing to do is to:
- use the Create New Mice form to add only the original breeders
- then Create a Mating Record with these breeders
- then Create New Litters within the Matings
- finally Tag, Sex, Genotype and Wean the Litters
Once the litter is weaned, you will see that the Dam and Sire columns of the associated Weanlings will be automatically populated with the correct information.
Adding mice in as litters will ensure that the pups are linked to their parents, which in turn allows you to fully trace the lineage of your mice over time.
Option 2: How to add Parents when using the Create New Mice form
NOTE: When using the Create New Mice form, upon return to your Mouse List, you will notice that the Dam and Sire columns will be empty. These columns are populated only when mice are created using the New Litter form.
If you have already inputted some mice using the Create New Mice form and want to retroactively input their Dam and Sire information, here are your options:
- Depending on how many mice you have added already, you can easily delete those records (Go to the Mouse List > Select all records > Click Delete Records), and add them again using the 4 steps above in Option 1.
- If you have a lot of records and do not want to add them all again, you can simply just add the parental information into the comment field of each mouse (Go to the Mouse List > Select all records > Click Edit Mice > On the Group Edit Mouse page, select each row and type straight into the Comment field within the table)
Of course, this is not ideal as this doesn't allow you to trace the lineage of the mice. That said, going forward, you will use the Mating and Litter features to ensure that all subsequent generations are inputted with the New Litter form to properly track the generation
- If you have a lot of records and do not want to add them all again AND want to ensure the lineage is traceable from the beginning, contact our Support Desk and ask for assistance. We are available to assist in determining the best way to backfill the parental data based on your specific need and situation and would love to help!