How to Select the Mother of a Litter in a Harem Mating
In Harem Mating Records where there are multiple females mating with one male, when creating a litter you have the option to select a specific female breeder as the mother of the litter, or not make any selection, and the system will assume all eligible females as the mother.
To make a specific selection, follow these steps:
- Go to your mating list, select the Harem Mating in question, and click on the Edit Matings button
- From here, click the "New Litter" button directly under the Matings > Edit Mating Record Header
- Next, Enter the Litter Size (if known) and the DOB
- Select the check box of the correct mother from the Breeder Information table
- Finally click on the green Submit button
- After the page refreshes, you will see only one mother in the Dam column for the litter and associated pups
- Please make sure you select the mother only after you click the New Litter button (so execute step 3 before step 4).
- If step 4 is executed before step 3, then when you input the litter DOB, the check box for the mother will clear and you'll have to select her again.
- The reason the system clears the check box is because it is actually doing a check on the DOB inputted to ensure data integrity by checking that the DOB is after the Date Mated of the mother. This check requires the check boxes to be cleared in case there is an issue.
- If you accidentally forget to select the correct mother, you can always Edit the Parents of a Litter retroactively. Follow the instructions here to learn how.