In SoftMouse, all actions start with the Mouse as a first step, then finish with the Cage as a second step.
- First you Create a Mouse record , then you move mice into their appropriate cages
- First you Create a Mating record , then you move the new breeders into their mating cage
- First you Create a Litter record , then you move the new pups into the cage with their mother
- First you Change the State of a Mouse from Pup to Weanling, then you wean the mice into their new cages
- First you Disband a Mating record, then you separate the retired breeder mice into their new Stock Cages
On the page in which you complete the first step (e.g. the New Mouse page, the New Mating page, the New Litter page, the Wean Litter page, the Disband Mating page, etc.), you will always see two green buttons at the bottom right of the screen.
Here's an example:
In order to engage the Cage function, always click the button on the right that contains the word "Move".
If you prefer to bypass the Cage feature altogether, you can simply click on the "left side" green button to execute the task in the database, without moving the mice at all.
This is useful if for example:
- You do not know the current cage configuration for your mice and you wish to enter this information at a later time
- Your mice are already in their appropriate cages and you do not wish to move them, you simply wish to retire them from their mating record, or leave female pups in the cage with their mother even though it is past their wean date, etc.
You can also Move Mice anytime from the Mouse List or Cage List with the Move Mice button...
...or by selecting the move mice button within the Edit Mating page, Edit Litter Page, or Edit Cage page as well.